"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

~Philippians 1:6


Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Tangibles and The Intangibles

What is tangible? What does the word mean? Well, dictionary.com defines it as capable of being touched; discernible by the touch; material or substantial. real or actual, rather than imaginary or visionary: the tangible benefits of sunshine. definite; not vague or elusive: no tangible grounds for suspicion. (of an asset) having actual physical existence, as real estate or chattels, and therefore capable of being assigneda value in monetary terms.


So tangible is something that can be touched, something with a "physical existence". Rutherford is tangible. My Mac is tangible. Two things that I love and am thankful for. My pretty white car is tangible. She's such a good car. My Bible is also tangible. I'm sure by now, you are getting the point of the tangibles. I love the tangibles, they're fun and they make my life easier (sometimes). 


Now let's see what intangible means. Dictionary.com defines it as not tangible; incapable of being perceived by the sense of touch, as incorporeal or immaterial things; impalpable. not definite or clear to the mind: intangible arguments. (of an asset) existing only in connection with something else, as the goodwill of a business.


Intangible is something we can't touch then. Love. Friendship. Curiosity (I put this because I am curious about everything!). Morals and values. Joy. Again, you're getting the idea of the intangibles.


Now on to the reason for the blog and these definitions and examples. It's Christmastime and there are presents involved. I love presents, I love getting stuff. I think that's a hard thing for us to admit. We fear it makes us seem greedy and materialistic. It can if you take it too far or obsess about it. But I think it's ok to want things. We just can't let it consume us. We often though see the tangibles and want them, but we forget about the intangibles and how important they are. 


I'll relate it to football (I know, it always comes back to football). The intangibles are what make a player great, the intangibles separate the good players from the great players. Lets take a biased example. Tom Brady was the 199th pick of the draft. In football that sucks, usually it means you are destined to serve as a backup or the practice team. His rookie year he backed up Drew Bledsoe. His second year in week 2 (I think) he had to come in for Drew Beldsoe who was injured. That year Brady took the team all the way to the Superbowl. Pick 199 who nobody wanted or thought could do it proved everybody wrong. Wanna know why (I know you do)? He had the intangibles. At the combine everybody thought Brady was too skinny or slow or had an average arm. So maybe his mechanics weren't perfect. But the intangibles? He had those in spades. Intelligence, quick thinking on the field, field awareness, pocket presence. Everybody says that's what makes Brady great.


Ok, so I'm done with the football analogy. What I'm getting at is that we should be thankful for the intangibles in our lives. They make us great, they make us who we are. We should desire to have the intangibles more than the tangibles. Don't get me wrong I love my electronics. Rutherford and Ambrosia are beautiful and wonderful, but I would give them up in a heart beat if it meant Derek could be completely healthy again. That is another intangible we take for granted: our health. I've seen and experienced what happens when your health fails you. It sucks to put it bluntly. Love, friendship, joy, laughter, etc... are all intangibles and without them our souls and spirits would slowly die, leaving us with an empty and miserable shell. 


I implore you this Christmas season to count your intangibles and thank God for them. If you're having money troubles and aren't getting the tangibles under your tree, try to think of the intangibles you have and smile. If then you still feel you have nothing, always remember God loves you. You have His love forever and that, my readers, is the greatest intangible of all.


Merry Christmas! May God bless you and your family!

1 comment:

  1. Good analogy!! Hate football but made me understand what you were saying. I love you so much!! Merry Christmas sister!

    ReplyDelete