"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

~Philippians 1:6


Friday, February 29, 2008

Master Your Tongue

As you've noticed the title of my blog is "Beautiful In God's Eyes", but I've not actually read the book. *Hangs head* I started, but felt so condemned at how I didn't measure up that I quit reading. Well, today I started reading it again. The part that resonated with me today was

Master your tongue:
  • Speak less often (Proverbs 10:19)
  • Speak only after we think about what we're going to say (Proverbs 15:28)
  • Speak only what is sweet and pleasant (Proverbs 16:21)
  • Speak only what is wise and kind (Proverbs 31:26)

I don't do ANY of these things. God laid on my heart today as I was praying that I tear other women down because of my insecurities as a wife and mother. I am by no means excusing this wretched behavior.

Do you find yourself doing this too? Do you say things like "I can't believe she would feed her child that?" or "She should spank them more" or "I can't believe she buys prepared food" or "Look how dirty her house is" Isn't it awful? I feel awful just writing it and even worse admitting that I think those things. Instead of spending the energy criticizing these woman I could be spending that energy praying for them!

This book is amazing and I'm only chapters in. I know it's a process becoming this woman, but I'm excited to know that I'm becoming a jewel in my husband's crown.

If you are looking to become a more Godly wife, mother, and person than I strongly recommend Elizabeth George's Beautiful in God's Eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment