"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

~Philippians 1:6


Sunday, August 28, 2011

Letter to a Boxer

Dear Floyd Mayweather Jr., (a boxer)

I'm gonna start off by saying that half of me feels sorry for you and the other half despises you and what you represent.

Let's start with the despising part. On 24/7 HBO you asked the camera tell me one athlete that works harder than me. You can't say you work harder than anybody else! You said tell me one athlete that is better than me and is undefeated. I can't think of anyone else that's undefeated, but I can think of two athletes that are better and I'll tell you why they're better. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Quarterbacks for the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts. Brady has 3 Super bowls and Manning has 1. They are future Hall of Famers and have already beat and set records. You are probably saying some pretty nasty words right now (cause that's what you do) and asking why they are better. Well I'll tell you. They have played the best and beat the best. Can you say that? You'd say yes because you are arrogant, vain, pompous, smug (I'll stop there because I could go on all day). Manny Pacquiao is one of the best fighters in boxing right now and you refused to fight him on the grounds of some stupid blood test. You know that if you fight Manny Pacquiao you'd lose and there'd go the only thing you have to stand on in your career: your "perfect" record. Another thing, you have 6 pending charges against you. You don't care who you hurt or how as long as it benefits you. That's so angering!

Now, I'll state why I feel sorry for you. You're all about the money. Didn't you hear the latest? No? Well I'll let you in on a little secret "money can't buy you happiness". It can buy you all those fancy cars and that big house in Vegas. It can pay to have 50 cent hang around you. It can even buy "Miss Jackson" that gaudy awful ring she's got on. It pays for your entourage. You are able to walk in anywhere and get special treatment. Let me ask you this, if your money were to disappear right now who and what would you be left with? You couldn't afford to maintain your lifestyle so where would you go? You and your father aren't on great terms, so who would take you in? I point all this out to say that the life you are leading is empty and sad. You should box because you absolutely love it. You should box because if you didn't you'd feel like a part of you is missing. You should box "for love of the game".

I'm going to answer one of my own questions. I asked if you lost all of your money who would take you in, the answer to that question is undoubtedly God. You may have heard this before and probably blown it off, but I'm going to tell you anyway. God is ready and waiting for you. Ready to heal your hurts and show you what real love is like. A love that caused Him to sent His Son to die for YOU. Give that some thought, it's a matter of life and death. I pray you realize soon that the life you are building is a actually a trap. You are actively participating in your own demise. I think you need to take a long hard look in the mirror and at the people around you and decide if this is what you want for the rest of your life. If the answer is yes (which I suspect it will be) then at least I've pointed all of this out to you and said what I wanted to say.

Sincerely,

Someone Who Thinks You're An Idiot

No comments:

Post a Comment