"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

~Philippians 1:6


Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Power of the Lord and the Weakness of Idols

There has been a theme in my devotions and learning as of late. I love it when the Lord does that because I know He's working something out in my life. Idols. Sigh. Oh how I wish they never existed. Oh how I wish we wouldn't give them a prominent place in our lives. Because that's exactly what we do. We give it to them.

"Hearken unto me, O house of Jacob, and all the remnant of the house of Israel, which are borne by me from the belly, which are carried from the womb: And even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you." Isaiah 46: 3&4 He wants us to listen and He wants us to know who He is. He leaves no doubt as to who He is in this passage "And even to your old age I am He; and even to hoar hairs (gray hairs) will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you." Idols can't do that. TV can't do that, my beloved iPhone can't do that, my beautiful Mac can't' do that, my husband can't do that, nor can my parents. Only God can.

"To whom will ye liken me, and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be like?" Isaiah 46:5 If somebody asked you if you thought God and satan are equal, I bet your answer would be a resounding NO! I bet if they asked you if you if you thought God was like man your answer would be another resounding NO! The problem here, dear readers, is that when we fear satan we are making him equal with God. When we blame world hunger and cancer on God we are bringing God down to the level of man. When we look at God and see pain, misery, and unfairness instead of love, mercy, and grace we are stripping Him of all His power in our lives. We are equating Him with the ugliness of humanity. We finding Him equal with nothing but a fallen angel who He created. There isn't a power struggle between God and Satan. There never was nor will there ever be. God has a plan and a timeline and when they come to fruition Satan is gone. Simple as that.

"They lavish gold out of the bag, and weigh silver in the balance, and hire a goldsmith; and he maketh it a god: they fall down, yea, they worship. They bear him upon the shoulder, they carry him, and set him in his place, and he standeth; from his place shall he not remove (move): yea, one shall cry unto him, yet he not answer, nor save him out of his trouble. Remember this, and show yourselves men: bring it again to mind, O ye transgressors." Isaiah 46: 6-8. This shows such premeditation with the idols. They went through several different obstacles to get the thing made and finally when it was made they bowed down to it. I wonder at that moment if there was a giant feeling of being let down. Think about the fact that these were God's chosen people. People who have seen and felt the power of God. I really think that at the moment they bowed down to a piece of metal that they went "uh oh". There was no glorious peace and there was no feeling of awe,  there was just...void. How many times have you felt like that in your life? How many times did you put something in God's place in your life and you were all psyched up about it. You went to metaphorically or maybe literally bow down to it and there was just...nothing. A complete and total void. Maybe it was money, maybe it was another person, maybe it was being well known. No matter what it was or is, it can never or will never bring you the peace you seek. There is only place where that peace exists and that is our Heavenly Father.

"Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me," Isaiah 46:9 I love this verse. He tells us to remember the past, remember the old stuff, and then He is God. He doesn't wants us to dwell on the past, but he does want us to think about it so we can better remember who He is and that there is indeed no one like Him. Remember the old idols and how they couldn't fulfill you, but how He overflows you. Remember the anxiety and then realize His peace. Remember the loneliness and then feel His love. These are the things He wants us to do when we "Remember the former things of old".

"Hearken unto me, ye stouthearted (stubborn minded-which is me), that are far from righteousness: I bring near my righteousness; it shall not be far off, and my salvation shall not tarry: and I will place salvation in Zion for Israel my glory." Isaiah 46: 12&13 No expounding necessary, isn't it wonderful? His salvation shall not tarry! I'm so glad for that, I bet you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment