"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

~Philippians 1:6

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The 4th and Missing My Grandma

I'm going to start with this morning and work my way back.

Derek had to work early this morning (poor guy). His alarm went off at 6 am and I was so not feeling it. We didn't get to bed until midnight so we were both pretty tired (and sore, but I'll get to that when I go backward). I decided to get up with him. I figured if my husband can get up and go to work while he's exhausted to go provide for our family the least I could do was get up with him and be all zombie-ish. So that's what I did. I fully planned on going back to bed after he left (my kids are still asleep). I laid down guilt free and prepared for a nice comfortable sleep. That did not happen however. So I got up and decided to organize my house a little bit. My house is small. And cluttered. Because I'm starting school in August I need a work area for all my gadgets. My desk is in storage so I had to get creative. Grandma Kay has this old Singer sewing machine. It's one of the pedal ones, but is like a desk when the sewing part is down. I started to clean it out and found all of this stuff of Grandma Kay's. We haven't gone through it since she died. I found her wallet, her rosary (which is beautiful), a necklace, and all of this sewing paraphernalia. I started to cry my eyes out the second I found her stuff. I miss her so much. I've blogged about her quite a bit, but I have to reiterate how special she was. Best person I've ever had the pleasure to know. Man, I need her.

Anyway, I drug the desk/sewing machine into my room (it's WAY heavier than it looks but it had wheels!). I set all my stuff up and it looks good. I'm gonna hang pictures in my room later. The first thing I did after I got it set up? I blogged. I left the dirt on the floor from where the desk/sewing machine was, didn't clean my table up from where I cleaned it out, and left everything on my bed and floor from where I put stuff. I'll do it later I guess.

OK, so now for the 4th! I had a blast yesterday! The parade was so-so this year, but we got to watch it at a friend's house. She's so awesome. She has all this red hair and she's gorgeous. She is somebody you want in your corner let me tell ya. After the parade we went home and I put together my pasta salad and we drove over to some other friend's house. Steve and Angela are some of the coolest people. I just love them. They make me laugh. They set up this blow up slide thing in their yard and I thought my kids were going to have a coronary when they saw it. We ate and visited. There was a mean joke played on me. Zach and Steve both said Tom Brady was in a car accident and broke his leg. If you've been reading for any amount of time you probably know how big of a freak I am about football. The Patriots in particular. Tom Brady being the quarterback and overall just awesome it freaked me out. I promptly took my phone out and googled it. It was a lie. Zach said it was worth it to see the look of panic on my face. I will never believe another word Zach says. Then a game of whiffle ball was instigated. These people do not know how competitive I am. Being "church" friends, they haven't really seen me at my worse. Well now they have. I did alright, but I almost knocked down an 11 year old at 2nd base. I swear I didn't see her there, I was in the zone. We lost, but it was so much fun! In reference to when I said we're sore. I can't believe my legs! They feel like they weigh 100 pounds each. We went home around 5 and everybody took naps in preparation for the long night of explosions we had ahead of us. We only had one incident. A firework fell over and started shooting at us. Every time it shot it would spin. Derek went into the street to kick so it would shoot in another direction. It almost hit two cars and like 5 people. God was watching out for us. That was our 4th.

So the 3rd was a pretty good day. Church was great as it always is. The afternoon relaxing. Then we went up to Brian's house (Derek's brother) for a BBQ and to watch the fireworks off of the big M. The fireworks were very cool. My little pyro (Alexander) was trying to light stuff on fire with his sparklers. I'm gonna have to really watch that kid.

We've had a busy couple of days. I'm looking forward to getting back to "normal". I hope you all had a safe and happy 4th. Thanks for reading my random ramblings.

1 comment:

  1. Love the post. We once had a firework set some grass on fire...oops! Sounds fun though