"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

~Philippians 1:6


Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas Traditions and What Not

Since Sarah talked about her traditions I thought I'd talk about mine.

Our first Christmas together Derek and I had been married for about a month. Like Sarah I had these really strong traditions instilled in me. Derek's family didn't have any. So we blended the two and did what my family does (Derek was ok with it)

One tradition I wanted to start was to get a new ornament every year for eachother and eventually our kids. Well my aunt Terie gave us this small Christmas tree that we put on top of our end table and we had exactly 4 ornaments on it. Our first Christmas ornament, a nativity scene ornament that Joann got us(a friend of Grandma Kay), a Hello Kitty ornament that Derek got me, and a bag of little medallion ornaments that have love sayings on them that I got Derek.

Derek wanted to go to Butte our first Christmas. Seeing as how I barely knew his family I agreed. It was one of the toughest things ever. Back then I was scared to death of Grandma Kay and I missed "home". It was the first time in my life that I didn't get up at the crack of dawn on Christmas and the first time I didn't open any presents. I was pretty depressed, but it wasn't until years later that I realized home is where my husband and I are.

This year I am starting a new tradition. I am going to bake a birthday cake with my kids and then we are going to sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. I am really excited. I also get to make Christmas dinner. This is going to be the best Christmas yet.

Jesus is the reason for the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment